Echols Dorm: Brick Wall By Side Door
Yep, you read that right: we’re having a cave semi-formal, because what’s more fun than dressing up all fancy, having a date, and crawling through the mud?
We’ll be going out to Glade cave – affectionately called “Mud Cave.” It’ll be a splendid, dirty time.
If you need attire, I strongly recommend a trip to Goodwill. Anything less than a tie and button down or dress will be unacceptable for such an event as this. I will be driving out to Goodwill Friday (the 15th) at 6pm, leaving from Echols. If you would like to come, please note that in the comments section and meet at Echols.
Bring a semi kind of snack to share: pretzels, fruit, gummy bears, PUNCH. Please someone bring punch.
Sign up with your date! (or not) But if you let me know who your date is, I’ll try to make sure you both get on the trip.
Note: this is still a caving trip, so all of the normal safety, conservation, and gear rules still apply.
– Leave from Echols at 8am
– Drive an hour to the cave
– Gear up, talk safety, and adventure through the cave for several hours
– When we reach the back room, we’ll have a little dance
– Clean up/change clothes and drive home
– Arrive back in Charlottesville around 4pm
– 2 headlamps
– backup batteries for your headlamps
– trash bag (for hypothermia kit; I will provide the candles and fire starters)
– water and snacks/emergency food supply
– sturdy closed toed shoes
– backpack that can get dirty
– change of clothes if desired
– You MUST read the Caving Checklist provided by the club. It can be found under the Member Resources tab (policies > officer policies > caving checklist).
– You are responsible for gathering all of your own equipment. Most of the gear is available at the club’s gear room.
– You should be comfortable crawling around in tight spaces and being in the dark.
– Because caving is such a dangerous sport, I will be very strict in ensuring you have the proper equipment (i.e., if you are not properly equipped with everything mentioned above, you are not entering the cave).
– It is a good idea to not have anything important scheduled for the evening of the trip just in case we are delayed.