Echols Dorm: Brick Wall By Side Door
If you’re looking for a fun way to procrastinate this weekend come check out Lockridge Aqua Cave! This is a pretty nifty cave that has a stream flowing through it and has lots of cool places to explore. The entrance to this cave will be either partially or completely submerged, so be prepared for a little swim.
The plan is to leave from echols at 10am so we can enter the cave by 12. We’ll spend about 3-4 hours underground so we can get back to Charlottesville by 6pm.
What to bring:
-2 headlamps and spare batteries
-gloves (these are mandatory to protect the cave)
-water and snacks/emergency food supply
-trash bag for hypothermia kit
-sturdy closed toe shoes
-change of clothes for the car
– You MUST read the Caving Checklist provided by the club. It can be found under the Member Resources tab (policies > officer policies > caving checklist).
– You are responsible for gathering all of your own equipment. Most of the gear is available at the club’s gear room.
– You should be comfortable swimming/being submerged in water, crawling around in tight spaces, and being in the dark, possibly all at once.
– Because caving is such a dangerous sport, I will be very strict in ensuring you have the proper equipment (i.e., if you are not properly equipped with everything mentioned above, you are not entering the cave).
– It is a good idea to not have anything important scheduled for the evening of the trip just in case we are delayed.