Echols Dorm: Brick Wall By Side Door
Shenandoah National Park
Weather has finally cooled down and it’s AWESOME to be outside. We’ll leave Friday at 2pm from the Echols brick wall and head into the Shenandoah National Forest. Rockytop/Big Run is a 13.8 mile loop, but since we’ll be camping we’ll split it up into a very manageable 7ish miles a day. We’ll get some sweet views of the Shenandoah Valley, the southern part of Massanutten Mountain, and some glimpses of the Alleghenies. This trail’s got it it all –ridge hikes, steep climbs, views, watering holes, streams, wildlife.. you name it. Chances are good of being back in time for the game but also missing the traffic 🙂
I’ll be at gear room Thursday to help fit people for packs and choose any gear they might need for the trip. Basically, you need to acquire a pack, a sleeping bag, pad (these things can be checked out from the gear room), and a change of clothes, snacks, and water (all things you must provide for yourself). A more detailed checklist can be found below.
This trip will be limited to three 3-person tents. That essentially means 9 people, perhaps a 10th if some of y’all like snuggling, but no more than 2 car fulls. The trip starts at 4 since that’s all my car fits.
Bring $5 each for the SNP park fee, por favor.
For a topographic map / further details of the hike, check this link: http://midatlantichikes.com/rockytop-bigrun.htm
Apparently, this area of the SNP is known for its bears, so don’t wear/bring any smelly stuff (lotions, perfumes, scented deodorant, etc). We’ll be hanging all our food (and anything smelly) for the night.
– good footwear (hiking boots with ankle protection is recommended)
– change of clothes
– layers! it can get chilly at night
– headlamp (there’s a good chance we’ll set up in the dark.)
– 4 liters of water (depending on your size)
– a camera if you want to take pictures
-Rain gear (jacket and brim hat) as there’s a chance of rain.
– packs (you must check this out from gear room) + pack cover
– sleeping bags (you must check this out from gear room)
– sleeping pads (you must check this out from gear room)
– dinner on Friday night and breakfast on Saturday