Echols Dorm: Brick Wall By Side Door
UVA - Exact Location TBD
Hark! Hail! Heed!
This adventure is a skill-building, bunnyhop-learning clinic for beginner/intermediate mountain bikers. To join, you don’t need loads of experience – but at minimum, you should already be comfortable riding a bicycle on beginner trails.
What is a bunny hop, you ask? Basically, you hop the bike into the air – first your front wheel, then your back – in order to clear your bike over an obstacle. It looks sick, and is also a really useful skill to have on the trail. If this bunnyhop thing sounds hard, don’t worry – this clinic will teach you how it’s done. If you already know how to bunnyhop, but want to get higher hops, you may also benefit from this clinic.
I recommend that you wear long pants. During the learning process, you WILL slip a foot off the pedal and whack yourself in the shin, at least once. If you’re wearing shorts, this hurts a lot, so plz wear long pants give you some protection.
– Meet at Echols
– Ride together to an empty-ish parking lot on Grounds. Idk exactly where this might be, but it shouldn’t take long to find a nice spot.
– Go over the basic movements, and give it a try! I’ll help you through the learning process as much as I can
I will bring:
– Several broomsticks to hop over. If needed, I’ll prop up them up to create taller obstacles. Much like a high jump bar, they fall out of the way if you don’t clear them; it’s not very dangerous.
– Random boxes and stuff to prop up the broomsticks
– A first aid kit
You should bring:
– A helmet(!!!)
– A bicycle. If you need to borrow a bike, meet me 30 minutes or so before the clinic at the shred shack to get fitted on your bike
– Water and snacks?
– Preferably, wear long pants
– Appropriate shoes — this includes any shoe with a flat and soft sole. Vans and other skate shoes are great; running shoes are ok. The better the sole of your shoe, the better it will grip the pedal, and the easier it will be for you to learn to bunny hop
**Everyone will be initially waitlisted as to match you to an appropriately sized bike**
**Bunnyhopping isn’t incredibly difficult, but keep in mind that all skill requires practice. By the end of the clinic, you’ll probably be able to do a tiny hop – if you want to truly emulate the graceful rabbit, though, you’ll have to practice more on your own! **