Echols Dorm: Brick Wall By Side Door
James River - Richmond
Hey there, outdoorsy folks,
This Saturday is the annual Boats and Brews Film Fest in Richmond, Va. Many locals will be hitting the Lower James for the afternoon before heading to the film fest itself at the ACAC in Short Pump.
More info on the event and venue here: https://www.facebook.com/events/252432268545135/?active_tab=about.
I’ll be taking a raft down the Lower James before heading over to the festival. It’ll be a beautiful high of 61 degrees, but the water will still be fairly colder so anyone who signs up needs to be ready for very cold water were they to fall in. No previous rafting experience necessary. Intermediate kayakers are welcome to join but note that signing up to kayak requires a strong roll and previous class III experience. Since I don’t kayak, it’s on you to know if your paddling skills are up to par with this adventure.
More info on the section of river that we will be running: https://www.americanwhitewater.org/content/River/detail/id/1952
The trip is dependent upon another driver signing up. Kayakers getting off the wait list is dependent upon a driver signing up who has a rack on their car.
Leave from Echols at 11:15 am. Arrive in Richmond at 12:30. Get on the river at 1:30. Get off the river around 5 and head to the fest. Arrive back in C’ville by 10:30/11pm or earlier.
A bunch of synthetic layers. We do have dry gear, but you should still wear multiple layers of non-cotton clothing. This includes non-cotton socks. Please also bring plenty of warm clothes to change into afterwards, including more socks and dry shoes.
Other stuff you need to bring:
– Shoes for the river— chacos or any other kind of shoe that doesn’t slip off easily
– Two water bottles (the kind with a built-in loop are ideal; I’ll be bringing some carabiners that we can hook them onto)
– Carabiners if you have them
– A dry bag if you have it
– Any medications that you may need while on the river
– Any sealed snacks (eg, granola bars) that you may want while on the river
– If applicable, something to prevent your glasses from falling off
– $5 in cash to get into the festival + more monies for buying dinner at the fest
– Raft, helmets, paddles, pfd’s, raft pump, dry gear
– Gas reimbursement + 50% tip
~While we may be going to a brewery, the Outdoors Club does not condone drinking unless one is age 21. All ages are welcome at the event.~
See you out there,