Echols Dorm: Brick Wall By Side Door
Andy Guest State Park
Billy Joel didn’t start the fire*, but we are. This is a multi-sport overnight trip that offers some fuel to fan everyone’s flame. Here’s the tinder, kiddies:
– Beginner/Intermediate/Advanced Top-Rope Climbing & Bouldering
– Beginner/Intermediate Mountain Biking on prime, flow-conscious track
– Easy to Moderate hiking/trail running through gullies and across vistas
– Easy paddling along the smooth Shenandoah River.
– Guided tour of the canopy and surrendering to 8 zip-lines.
Climbing will be in the Elizabeth Furnace area. Camping will be in Andy Guest State Park. Riding/Paddling/Hiking/Zip options launch from within Andy Guest.
Trip allows for 8 participants. Take note of start time on Saturday. Plan ahead. Trip cost is for camping costs. Activity costs are the responsibility of each participants (e.g. canoeing, zip-line).
THE LOW DOWN:
1) Depart UVA early Saturday (TIME AM) and head directly to Elizabeth Furnace to climb.
— Transition to Andy Guest to set-up camp and explore via mountain bike and hike.
2) Sunday is a “Do Whatchu Want Sucka” day.
— Partner up with peeps to continue the climb, mountain bike, hike activities
— Schedule a paddle with Down River Canoe Company
— Schedule a zip-line with VA Canopy Tours
3) Return to UVA Sunday evening (approx. TIME PM)
WHAT YOU NEED TO BRING:
It is your responsibility to allocate and bring all the items below:
– Climbing Gear: harness, belay device, carabiner(s), shoes, chalk, helmet, badassness
– Camping Gear: tents, sleeping bag/pad, pot/bowl/utensils, rain gear, camp chair, ghost stories
– Mountain Biking: bike, helmet, gloves, and related gear. Oh, and spandex. The tighter the better.
– Paddle Gear: swim clothes, boat/PFD/paddle can be brought from club or rented at Down River
– Food: snacks during activities, Saturday dinner, Sunday breakfast
– Water: (2L) in bladder or bottles
WE WILL BE SHARING THE FOLLOWING GROUP GEAR:
– H20 purification
– First aid kit
– Stove(s) fuel
– Climbing rope/hardware (treat the club’s like your own)
* Billy Joel “We didn’t Start the Fire”: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFTLKWw542g
– Down River Canoe Company: http://www.downriver.com/
– VA Canopy Tours: https://www.zipthepark.com/
– Elizabeth Furnace Climbing: http://www.rockclimbing.com/routes/North_America/United_States/Virginia/North_Western/Elizabeth_Furnace/
– Andy Guest State Park: http://www.dcr.virginia.gov/state-parks/shenandoah-river.shtml#general_information
– Andy Guest Trail Map: http://www.dcr.virginia.gov/state-parks/documents/data/trail-guide-shenandoahriver.pdf
– Zip-line: http://vastateparks.tumblr.com/post/82402813958/zip-andy-guest-shenandoah-river-state-park