Echols Dorm: Brick Wall By Side Door
If you’re interested in caving but haven’t had a chance to go, this is a great cave to get started on. Hamilton Cave is a maze-like cave full of some pretty nifty rock formations and has some challenging and fun features to explore. Some of the tunnels can be a bit small so I would advise against signing up if you are claustrophobic.
Beginners are welcome on this trip – I’ll teach you what you need to know. As always, come prepared with all your gear. All the info you need is in this trip description and in the caving checklist. Note that nothing on the equipment list is optional.
I also don’t have a car so priority will be given to drivers. Club pays for gas + 50% tip! (must have a full tank when we leave)
– Leave from Echols at 8:00am
– Drive two hours to the cave
– Gear up, talk safety, and adventure through the cave for a few hours (10:00 – 2:00)
– Hike back, clean up/change clothes, and drive home
– Arrive back in Charlottesville around 4:00pm
– 2 headlamps
– backup batteries for your headlamps
– 2 trash bags (one for hypothermia kit; the other for dirty clothes/gear)
-long sleeved shirt and pants you are comfortable getting dirty
– snacks/emergency food supply
– sturdy closed toed shoes
– backpack that can get dirty
– change of clothes
– container for human waste (pack it in, pack it out)
– You MUST read the Caving Checklist provided by the club. It can be found under the Member Resources tab (policies > officer policies > caving checklist).
– You are responsible for gathering all of your own equipment. Most of the gear is available at the club’s gear room.
– You should be comfortable crawling around in tight spaces and being in the dark.
– Because caving is such a dangerous sport, I will be very strict in ensuring you have the proper equipment (i.e., if you are not properly equipped with EVERYTHING mentioned above (even trash bags and spare clothing), you are not entering the cave).
– It is a good idea to not have anything important scheduled for the evening of the trip just in case we are delayed.