Echols Dorm: Brick Wall By Side Door
Cold Mountain / Mount Pleasant
Looking for a way to burn off those holiday calories and see some of the most spectacular high meadow scenery in the East? Then come join in the fun!
Saturday 1/23 through Sunday 1/24. We will leave around 8:30am on Saturday from the Echols Half Brick Wall and return sometime Sunday at or before the early afternoon.
Cold Mountain and Mount Pleasant. These are two sister mountains with circuit hikes leaving from the same parking lot. The trailhead is near Buena Vista, VA and will be a 1.25-1.5 hour drive from Cville.
We will head out around 8:30am, stop at the grocery store for people who need to get some grub. Each person will be responsible for their own food & water, though I will bring a portable stove for boiling water. From there we’ll head straight to the trail.
First we will circuit hike Cold Mountain. This is a 5.8 mile loop. Then, we’ll stop by the car(s) to grab our camping gear and head up to the Mount Pleasant summit campgrounds. This is another 2.5-3.0 miles. I aim to be there by around 4:00 or 5:00 so we have some light for setting up camp. We’ll eat, drink and be merry ’round a fire (unless the National Forest Service has fire restrictions up) until we all drift to sleep midst the twinkling stars, whispering trees, and crisp January night air. The next morning we’ll break camp, break our fast, and hike the rest of the Mt. Pleasant loop (~2.5 miles) back to the car, and then drive straight back to Cville.
All told, it will be ~8.5 miles on the first day and ~2.5 miles on the second day for a total of 11 miles of moderate difficulty.
I’ve been told the views are splendid — the photos sure make it seem that way! Specifically, Cold Mountain is famous for having wonderful high mountain meadow scenery. That type of ecosystem is really rare in this area of the country so it’s cool that we have some so close to us in VA!
Anyone is welcome. I am budgeting a very modest pace to make sure that no one is left behind and to make sure that we don’t rush through the scenery. If we want to hike faster then we can.
DRIVERS! I don’t have a car, so please come! All gas will be reimbursed by the club…. plus we’ll give you a 30% tip (capped at $10)! You will also have wait list priority.
Speaking of which, everyone will be wait listed until we have a driver.
WHAT YOU PROVIDE:
– Backpack & rain cover. If closer to the date there is no chance of rain then nix the latter.
– Sleeping Bag & Pad. Make sure bag is warm enough (check weather beforehand).
– Food for lunch, dinner, and breakfast the next morning. We will stop at a grocery store. This is the cost that the fee represents.
– Warm clothes. It will probably be pretty cold so make sure you pack lots of warm layers. Again, check the weather beforehand. It’s too far out for me to send any legitimate forecast.
– Headlamp. Not totally necessary as we’ll be having a fire and phone lights work too, but it’s a nice addition.
– WATER. Yes, you still need to hydrate even when it’s cold. I’d bring at least 2L capacity to carry with you and also bring some to leave in the car. That way you can refill when we get our overnight gear and head up to Mt. Pleasant to camp.
– Sturdy Hiking shoes
WHAT I/THE CLUB PROVIDES:
– Backpacking stove(s)
– Backpack/Sleeping Bags/Sleeping Pads/Head Lamps/Rain Cover as needed. If you don’t need any of the above, then make sure to go to a gear room beforehand and check out the necessary items (for free!!). If you can’t make any of the gear rooms, then email the officer list serv and we’ll work something out.
Anyways, can’t wait to hit the trail with y’all! The mountains have been beckoning me all break…. (I live in FL). If you have any questions or concerns either email me at email@example.com or call/text me at 941-993-3320.
Love, peace, and nice views,
*I am not “leading” this trip as a paid guide. I am just a student who is coordinating logistics.