Echols Dorm: Brick Wall By Side Door
Come check out Crossroads cave! This is a beginner cave – great for those who don’t have any experience, but still fun for those do.
– Leave from Echols at 8am
– Drive two hours to the cave
– Gear up, talk safety, and adventure through the cave for 4 hours or so
– Clean up/change clothes and drive home
– Arrive back in Charlottesville around 4pm
– 2 headlamps
– backup batteries for your headlamps
– trash bag (for hypothermia kit; I will provide the candles and fire starters)
– water and snacks/emergency food supply
– sturdy closed toed shoes
– backpack that can get dirty
– change of clothes if desired
– You MUST read the Caving Checklist provided by the club. It can be found under the Member Resources tab (policies > officer policies > caving checklist).
– You are responsible for gathering all of your own equipment. Most of the gear is available at the club’s gear room.
– You should be comfortable crawling around in tight spaces and being in the dark.
– Because caving is such a dangerous sport, I will be very strict in ensuring you have the proper equipment (i.e., if you are not properly equipped with everything mentioned above, you are not entering the cave).
– It is a good idea to not have anything important scheduled for the evening of the trip just in case we are delayed.