Echols Dorm: Brick Wall By Side Door
Come check out Crossroads cave! This is a beginner cave – great for those who don’t have any experience, but still fun for those do.
– Leave from Echols at 1300
– Drive two hours to the cave
– Gear up, talk safety, and adventure through the cave for 4 hours or so
– Clean up/change clothes and drive home
– Arrive back in Charlottesville around 2100
– 2 headlamps
– backup batteries for your headlamps
– 2 trash bags (one for hypothermia kit; the other for dirty clothes/gear)
– water and snacks/emergency food supply
– sturdy closed toed shoes
– backpack that can get dirty
– change of clothes
– You MUST read the Caving Checklist provided by the club. It can be found under the Member Resources tab (policies > officer policies > caving checklist).
– You are responsible for gathering all of your own equipment. Most of the gear is available at the club’s gear room.
– You should be comfortable crawling around in tight spaces and being in the dark.
– Because caving is such a dangerous sport, I will be very strict in ensuring you have the proper equipment (i.e., if you are not properly equipped with EVERYTHING mentioned above (even trash bags and spare clothing), you are not entering the cave).
– It is a good idea to not have anything important scheduled for the evening of the trip just in case we are delayed.