Corner Of Echols Dorm
Corner Of Echols Dorm
Liberty Mills Farm, Liberty Mills Road, Somerset, VA, USA
Are you sticking around Charlottesville over Fall Break, and preparing to be sad as your friends leave Grounds to go home for the weekend? Are you looking for an a-maize-ing thing to do with your Friday night, but your batteries are running low after the week? Corn-gratulations! You’ve stumbled upon this trip! I don’t know about you all, but I’ve really been in the fall mood this year. Like I started putting up decorations around my apartment… two weeks ago… Oh well! C’est la vie. Let’s go stumble (somewhat) aimlessly around a corn field in the dark!
Liberty Mills Farm is home to the largest corn maze in Virginia, not to mention east of the Mississippi River! The maze spans a 33-acre corn field, and each year the paths of the maze create a new themed design. This year’s theme is SPACE themed! Admission to the maze costs $14 so PLEASE be sure to bring money with you! If you’re wary about the cost, I’m from Charlottesville and this is a fall tradition for me. I go back every year because it’s always a blast. So, yeah…. uh there really isn’t much more to say, so if you feel like spacing out in a corn field with other cool people after a long week of classes, this trip is perfect for you!
You can find more information about this adventure at the following link:
NOTE: If you don’t make it on this trip, don’t stress! I plan to lead at least one more trip to the corn maze, maybe more depending on demand/my availability. (TENTATIVE dates: October 5, 12, 19, and November 2)
– Meet outside Echols at 4:45 pm
– Depart from Echols around 5:00 pm
– Drive for about 45 minutes to get to Liberty Mills Farm
– Buy tickets and enter the maze around 6:00 pm
– Pile into cars by 10:15 pm at the latest
– Arrive back in C’ville around 11:00 pm/ 45 minutes from whenever we get tired of being children of the corn
What to Bring
Weather Note: I believe that the flashlight maze is closed in the event of bad weather. If it is, we will reschedule for another Saturday since the maze runs until November 2. As of 4:36 pm on 9/29/2019, the weather looks perfect (sunny, high of 76, low of 47), but be sure to bring warm clothes.
– Comfortable clothing for exploring the corn (it gets cold after the sun goes down, so remember to bring warm clothes if you get cold easily)
– Sturdy shoes that you don’t mind getting muddy
– A working flashlight or headlamp (a flashlight on your phone will not be acceptable according to the website/experience)
– Money to get a ticket for the corn maze ($14)
– Maybe some money for food if we decide to stop on the way back/there
***Drivers needed! Drivers will receive priority off the waitlist. Drivers will be reimbursed for gas + 50% tip. Please show up with a full tank of gas or else you will not be eligible for reimbursement. **
P.S. Sorry, not sorry for the corn-y puns 🙂