Echols Dorm: Brick Wall By Side Door
Elliot Knob/Falls Hollow
Hey all! Chris WD and I are leading an overnight backpacking trip to Elliot Knob this weekend (http://www.hikingupward.com/GWNF/ElliotKnob/). It’s a strenuous 8.5-mile round trip to one of the highest peaks in Virginia with 2,425 feet of elevation change. Besides taking advantage of warm, sunny winter weather, the summit’s fire tower has a sheltered 360 degree view of the blue ridge. We should be able to watch sunset, chill, sleep, and see sunrise from *inside*, otherwise there’s some great camping spots with stone fire rings nearby.
Saturday 10AM- Sunday 3PM
Anyone is welcome. We’ll keep a relaxed pace and leave no one behind. Plan to share snacks, fire, and some silliness at the top. Chris and I will both drive, so no extra drivers are needed.
WHAT YOU PROVIDE:
– Sleeping Bag & Pad. Make sure your bag is warm enough since it will be below freezing overnight.
– Food for lunch, dinner, and breakfast the next morning. We will stop at a grocery store on the way out – guessing the fee below.
– Warm clothes including hat and gloves for nighttime.
– WATER. I’d bring at least 2L capacity to carry with you and also bring some to leave in the car.
– Sturdy Hiking shoes
WHAT THE CLUB PROVIDES:
– Backpacking stove(s)
– Backpack/Sleeping Bags/Sleeping Pads/Head Lamps/Rain Cover as needed. If you don’t need any of the above, then make sure to go to a gear room beforehand and check out the necessary items (for free!!). If you can’t make any of the gear rooms, then email the officer list serv and we’ll work something out.
See you outside!
B & C