Hiking (Backpacking) Hiking (Backpacking)


  • Sep 30
  • 06:30 AM
  • Corner Of Echols Dorm


  • Oct 2
  • 04:00 PM
  • Your House


  • Sep 28
  • 06:00 PM


  • $0


  • Grayson Highlands State Park, Grayson Highland Lane, Mouth of Wilson, VA, USA


Hey all. This is going to be a really amazing trip down to the highest elevation area in Virginia, with the tallest mountain + some other runner ups. The mount Rodgers area is known for its unique open landscape, that’ll remind you much more of being out west than being in the east, unique biodiversity, and of course wild horses / roaming cattle. The leaves should be at their peak which will make this trip pretty unreal.

The route is going to be ~24ish miles over the course of 3 days. I planned the route with the intention of staying as high in elevation as possible to keep those vistas coming over and over again.

The map: https://www.alltrails.com/explore/map/mount-rogers-loop-trail-ea96efc

Elevation: Between 4300-5750ft

Temperatures: This area has drastically different weather than around Charlottesville. Expect very pleasant temps in the day – low 60’s? Last year around this time I experienced temperatures below freezing at night.

What to bring:
Sleeping bag
Sleeping pad
Warm cloths
At least 2 liters of water capacity
Food(freeze dried is easiest for breakfast/dinner as we’re just boiling water). Lots of snacks. 2x dinner, 2x lunch, 2x breakfast(We’ll probably stop for lunch on the way back but pack snacks just in case we’re behind schedule).
Your own water filter(optional)
Hiking shoes + socks
Toiletries(don’t forget tp)
Rain gear(jacket, pack fly/trash bag)
Any other accessories/luxury items

I’ll bring:
Water Filter
Med kit


Saturday – Leave Echols by 6:30AM, start hiking by around 11AM. Make sure you eat before heading off.
Sunday – Hike all day
Monday – Hopefully get off pretty early, maybe 11AM(grab lunch on the way back), be back by 4PM.

We could go either counterclockwise or clockwise. Counterclockwise would save the most of the highlight scenery for the latter half of the trip. Doing so would have us camp likely somewhere between Second Peak and Stone Mountain the first night, and the second night either before or after the mount rodgers summit trail.

The trip is somewhat weather dependent – alot of rain would mean canceling/postponing. I would recommend if going with a friend, to share a 2p tent if possible to minimize the amount space needed to camp, allowing us more flexibility + better camping spots. This is likely going to be a tough hike so bring your fitness ‘A’ game and a positive attitude.

I’ll be driving my car(space for 3 others), looking for one other driver who would get priority off the waitlist.

I’m new to the club as a 4th year, so look forward to meeting yall. Please reach out to talk about the trip/questions – 540-454-1334.




Trips Attended: 1 Trips Led: 1

do you want to Leave from this Adventure ?

You are not authorized person to view this