Kings Canyon National Park, California
Muir Pass, Kings Canyon National Park, California, USA
FREE 95-MILE ADVANCED BACKPACKING ADVENTURE
– July 28 – Aug. 10, 2020 = departure from / arrival back home. (Trip leader plans to fly out of Charlottesville airport.)
– Kings Canyon National Park, California
– Spectacular, endless mountain and lake views on high altitude trails frequently above treeline
– Hike past Sierra Club stone hut monument to John Muir at Muir Pass, 11,955 feet elevation.
– 95 miles over 10 nights, 11 days WITHOUT RESUPPLY
– Included in the 95 are 68 miles on the combined John Muir / Pacific Crest Trails
– Average 9.5 miles/day
– HIGHEST ELEVATION: ~12,000 feet (several times on trail)
– Max daily ascent ~3,500 feet (average daily ascent & descent ~1,700 feet; max daily descent ~3,700 feet)
– PACE: On relative hiking speed scale of 1 to 10 with 10 being super-fast — *not* mph — pace will be 6 to 8 out of 10. Leader will trek at pace 7 or so; everyone will have a walkie-talkie and will need to stay within range.
– GUIDE: Poppa Shred (Matthew Rosefsky, Wilderness Medicine Instructor-Trainer, Geo Medic, and Wilderness EMT)
– FEE: None! Trip Leader is volunteering his organizing and leadership time. Cover your own expenses (including food and travel to and back home from trail head in California, or meet us at Las Vegas airport where we’re renting a car), and split any shared expenses (including campsites, car rental etc. when we’re together, and satellite phone rental). Note that the club will not be subsidizing anyone’s expenses of participating on this trip.
– PREREQUISITE: Significant backpacking experience and stamina required.
0) Leave No Trace (LNT) ethics will be followed on this trip. If you sign up, then you are pledging to pre-read and adhere to LNT principles. Also, everyone will be required to sign a Sierra Club liability waiver.
1) Fill out this form: http://tinyurl.com/n5vuedu AND then right away:
2) Email: matt (at) solowfa (dot) com to say (1) you filled out the form; AND (2) what is your backpacking experience, including *all* of the following: total number of times, when last time, longest duration, maximum total mileage, typical daily mileage and elevation gain you’re accustomed to; AND (3) if you have ever been to 8000+ feet before (not a pre-requisite): how high, felt strong or weak, got headaches / nausea / fatigue / anything?; AND (4) your questions.
3) Spaces are limited (our permit max = 6). It would be a shame to turn people away when the trip fills up, and then someone drops out with too little notice for a waitlistee to clear their schedule and come. To minimize this happening, when your participation is approved, a $100 deposit is required to secure a spot. If you make the deposit but then do not show up for the trip, it is not refundable. If you do show up for the trip, you will receive your $100 back or trip guide will donate it to either Sierra Club or Wild Virginia if you would like.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Co-Sponsored by Sierra Club Piedmont Group Outings.
To hear about future outings, join the free email list at http://tinyurl.com/okf5c46