Echols Dorm: Brick Wall By Side Door
Corner Of Echols Dorm
Hello fellow lovers of the outdoors! There’s a good chance of a meteor storm tomorrow night (that’s right, a storm, not just a shower, with the potential for hundreds of meteors per hour) and I want to see it! In order to catch this rare phenomenon (the last time it occurred in these meteor showers was in 1995), we’ll head to spy rock*, which is an easy 1.5 mile hike up from the trailhead. Hopefully, the clouds won’t be too bad.
We’ll only be hiking about 3 miles total, but it will all be in the dark and there is a very small bit of scrambling, so please keep that in mind if you sign up for this trip.
*destination is subject to change if I find a good hike with a better forecast
Where: Echols dorm/Spy Rock
When: Thursday, November 21
Additional info: https://www.hikingupward.com/GWNF/SpyRock/, https://www.accuweather.com/en/space-news/unicorn-meteor-storm-to-be-triggered-by-mysterious-comet-thursday-night/629937
The unicorn meteors (from the alpha Monocerotid meteor shower) are supposed to peak around 11:45 pm, but it’s recommended to be ‘gazing by 11 to make sure you don’t miss the phenomenon.
Here’s the plan:
8:00 PM – meet at Echols dorm, by the side door
9:30 – arrive at the trailhead, start hiking
10:30 – get to Spy Rock, get comfy
Stargaze, hangout (cards?)
11:45 – Peak of meteor shower/storm begins
12:45 – Head back to the car
1:00 – arrive back at the car(s)
2:15 – arrive back at UVA
What to bring:
– Water for the hike: 1 Liter
– Good shoes for hiking
– A headlamp (required, gear room has ‘em)
– LAYERS & WARMTH: the forecast is a low of 44 degrees with wind gusts as high as 36 mi/hr tomorrow night. It can be very chilly if you’re laying on a rock when it’s 45 degrees, windy, and there’s no sun, so please dress warmly
– Entertainment for the group (cards, games, etc)?
o An instrument if you have one, can/want to hike with it, and would like to provide the group with live music?
– Tea bags, hot chocolate mix, instant coffee? + extra water to make it + a mug/thermos
– I’ll bring a stove from the gear room to heat up water
– Sleeping pad so you’re not laying on the rock?
DRIVER(S) NEEDED: I do not have a car, so without any drivers this trip cannot happen! The drive is about 1hr, 15 min/56 miles away and you will be reimbursed for gas + 50% tip, as well as get priority off the waitlist. Please arrive with a full tank of gas.