Echols Dorm: Brick Wall By Side Door
It’s gonna be the end of May! I know some of you were busy during the year and haven’t gotten your dues worth, and I’m sure many of you nature lover’s are bored and trapped in Charlottesville. Definitely consider coming along on one of the most scenic and my favorite hikes off the Blue Ridge Parkway. It’s super noob friendly. I’ll take care of the heavy lifting (intended) and . It’s got plenty of vistas and a number of small waterfalls. That with some comradery only Outdoors Club can give will make for an excellent weekend.
For details, see http://www.hikingupward.com/GWNF/ThreeRidges/
We’ll start hiking Saturday morning, spend the night under the stars and hit the road by noon on Sunday. It won’t be very strenuous, and we’ll have plenty of time to appreciate the views. [Fun story: When our stove quite working at 6 degrees Fahrenheit, I once led my crew to finish it in a day.]
– a backpack
– a sleeping bag+pad+tent/hammock
– 3-4 liters of water
– food/dining gear for
* breakfast saturday (can eat in the car)
* lunch+snacks saturday
* dinner saturday
* sunday breakfast/lunch (we can get lunch on the road)
– broken in sneakers/boots
– rain gear
– athletic clothing for the heat, clothing for a cool evening
* for the love of god don’t bring cotton socks, polyester and wool are much preferred (hmu if you need socks)
* 1 set of clothing is enough, though I recommend a change of socks and underwear
– tooth brush
Crew gear (I’ll carry):
– First aid kit
– jet boil + ignition
– water filter
– bear bag + line
– toilet paper/sanitation
– hiking poles
– I can pick up ANYTHING you need at gear room and have it ready for you before the hike starts.
– Packing can be a little intimidating (after one trip you’ll get the hang of it), so I’m happy to help out before we set off.
– I’m also happy to help you fit your pack to your height. It’s incredible how little you feel the pack weight once everything is strapped down.
– If you aren’t sure what foodstuff would be ideal and just want to throw some coins at me, let me know in the questions so I can pick up some stuff for you.
– Don’t bring much more what you find on the list. Your back and legs will thank you.
Drivers: I would love to open this trip to up to 8 or 10 people, but my car only fits 2 and probably can’t handle more than one pack. If you sign up and can drive, gas will be reimbursed and my eternal gratitude will be received.