James River - Richmond
DATE MOVED TO WEDNESDAY
Now, the forecast is showing the river to crest at 5.5-5.6′ Wednesday afternoon, so I’ll be going then instead
For the first time in like 3 months, we’ve gotten enough rain to bring the James up to a fun level. Tomorrow evening, it’s predicted to be between 5 and 6 ft. I’m planning to leave C-ville at around 4pm so we can put in no later than 6 and be off before dark. I can only carry my own boat with me, so I’ll waitlist everyone until some one with rack signs up.
You must have your own boat, but I may be able to get other gear if you need it. The air will be warm (80F) but I’m not sure how to check the water temp. You likely won’t need a splashtop though but let me know if you want me to get you one.
You can track the water level at:
The LJ, while not particularly dangerous at this level, is above my comfort level for rescuing swimmers/boats/gear. So you need to, at the very minimum, have run the LJ once before with no swims. A strong roll is not a must, but will make things much easier. Just keep in mind that if you swim, I’ll probably be able to get you to safety, but I can’t say the same about your boat/gear.