Echols Dorm: Brick Wall By Side Door
James Madison University
What is the Reach Out Climb? A competition for all levels of climbers, and they give away tons of stuff and prizes. JMU has a wall that’s more textured than the ones at Peak and roughly 25′ high, with lots of natural features and some cracks. There are 4 top ropes and there is also a small 45 degree bouldering cave. You will be belayed by JMU staff on top rope, so you don’t even need to belay! This year they are switching up the ROC format to include both bouldering and top roping. There are three categories– Level 1/Beginner (5.0-5.7), Level 2/Intermediate (5.7-5.10), and Level 3/Advanced (5.10+)… and there are climbs for every skill level.
Who: Climbers of ALL skill levels (beginners, that includes you!)
What: bouldering and top rope climbing competition
When: Saturday, February 18th from 7AM-5:30PM
Where: James Madison University Recreation
Why: To have fun & benefit the Jared Neville Foundation, which supports maintenance of and access to local climbing areas.
How: Information on how to register is available at http://www.jmu.edu/recreation/Events/ROC.html. You must mail in payment and a registration form. First 25 to register get a free t-shirt! The fee is $20 to pre-register and $25 the day of the event.
– JMU does not allow loose chalk or chalk balls (they will provide liquid chalk)
– YOU MUST PRE-REGISTER FOR THIS EVENT. Day-of registration happens at 7am, and we are not going to leave early enough for day-of registration.
– This competition is all about FUN. Even if you have only climbed a couple of times, it’s definitely a great experience, and they even have a category for new climbers (Level 1). You don’t even have to belay!
– Don’t expect to get an workout in! This event is about getting to watch some awesome climbers compete, making new friends with climbers from outside the UVA community, winning sweet gear in the raffle, and challenging your own climbing abilities. And of course, cheering on your fellow UVA climbers! We always bring a big crowd and have a lot of fun supporting each other.
– Pre-Registration $$$ (<-- important!) - A bag lunch - Harness and climbing shoes if you have them. - Car if you have it CLUB PROVIDES: - Ride, gas $$$ for drivers - Harness and climbing shoes if you need it. The trip will start with 4 people, which is the number of people I can fit into my car. I'll expand it as I get more drivers, so sign up!