Echols Dorm: Brick Wall By Side Door
Is one crown enough for you (I mean who can wear three)? Do you like the outdoors? Do you like sunsets? Do you like sunrises? Do you like dogs?
Then this could be the backpacking adventure for you!
Come join Jim, his dog Molly, and I as we take on McAfee Knob in Catawba, VA. We will be hiking up McAfee and taking in all the awesome views, then camping along the AT. The hike is about 8.3 miles total, so its not very long. The beauty of making this an over night is that we don’t have to drive 4+ hours in one day, and we get to see both sunset and sunrise from the top! You can find some more info here: https://www.hikingupward.com/jnf/McAfeeKnob/
I will be checking out tents for the group to sleep in. You are more than welcome to bring your own if you want to.
~~ my curated plans~~
– 12:45pm meet at Echols
– 1:00pm leave Echols
– 3:00pm arrive at McAfee parking lot
– 5:30pm snack to avoid hangryness
– 7:00pm arrive at the top just in time for a sunset
We will then set up camp, eat dinner, and enjoy the great outdoors
– Wake up earlier than a rooster and pack up
– Catch sunrise at precisely 7:16am
– 8:15am head back down the mountain
– 11am arrive at the car
– 1pm back at UVA in time for the women’s soccer game
~~ whatcha need to bring ~~
– Backpacking backpack
– Sleeping bag
– Sleeping pad
– Tent / Hammock if you want to sleep alone / in your own space
– 2L+ of water (I will have a water filter)
– Clothes to sleep in
– Good vibes
Feel free to email/text me if you have any questions about what to bring or the trip in general!