Scott Stadium South Lot
Humpback Rock, Virginia, USA
A super magical entanglement is occurring between ODC, undocUVA, and the Third Year Council. As part of a larger event to rebrand October as a month of reforming & reclaiming spaces for people of color, we’re having a community hike on October 23rd meant to center POC voices in the outdoors! Join us for a (free!) lunch, discussion with professor Carrington Kernodle Epperson (Assistant Director of Contemplative Engagement), and hike at Humpback with some diverse individuals! We’d love some experienced hikers who can help facilitate (like carrying extra water or first aid in case of any issues), along with anyone who just wants to be a part of this discussion <3
Here is the official description of the event:
“Reclaiming Nature is a group hike aimed for BIPOC students and nature lovers. This event is a part of undocUVA's month-long series, Reforming and Reclaiming Our Spaces—a month dedicated to advocacy work, self-care, and as the name states, reclaiming our spaces.
Historically, nature spaces have not been spaces where BIPOC, especially Black people, have felt safe or comfortable within. Through this hike, we are hoping to have an open discussion validating this concern, talk through ways we can open these spaces up for more BIPOC individuals, how to maintain personal safety, and just an opportunity for nature-lovers to bond. Discussion will be led by Carrington Kernodle Epperson, food will be provided, and all drivers will be compensated for gas.”
10:45 – Meet at Scott Stadium South Lot (right across from Rice Hall)
11 – Leave for Humpback
11:45 – arrive @ the parking lot
12-1 – lunchtime & discussion by the picnic tables facilitated by prof Carrington
1-3 – hike!! Everyone can go at their own pace, but drivers must make sure they get everyone back to cville. This means you can also just show up for the discussion if you aren’t interested in or able to do the hike.
– clothes/shoes you are comfortable hiking in (keeping in mind the weather!)
– snacks if you’d like, but lunch will be provided by us! We will have vegetarian and vegan options
– whatever little trinkets you desire
– a good attitude & open mindedness
– Gas will be reimbursed for drivers! But it will be at a flat rate of $10 instead of us reimbursing what you spend filling your tank.
– Anybody is welcome to sign up, but this is an affinity trip meant for people of color. Priority will be given to the people this trip is targeted towards!
– Please fill out this form if you are planning on coming so the undocUVA & TYC organizers can plan appropriately! If you are interested in facilitating, make a note of it in the question that asks about org affiliation (ex: "Outdoors club, to help carry water & be a first aid contact")