Echols Dorm: Brick Wall By Side Door
Shenandoah National Park
Are you trying to go backpacking, want to get some real exercise but can’t commit to the whole weekend? Well look no further!
Friday 2.5.2016 to Saturday 2.6.2016. We will be leaving from Echols around 6pm – you guessed it NIGHT BACKPACKING WOOT!
We will be doing the same loop as described by the link bellow except counter clockwise:
Since we will be hiking at night we are going to hike into the valley at night. This will make things a lot easier on us. The next day we will complete the circuit which includes 7 miles and ~1500 ft of elevation gain. This is an open trip but know that this will be physically taxing and fairly grueling (but that’s why we do it!!). That being said, we can take saturday slow as we want to. It will be about 13 miles round trip and we will crush about 6 miles the first night hiking into the valley. I’m really bad at guessing correct times but it should be assumed it’ll be a late night on Friday.
According to google it says the high on friday will be 39 and the low 20 so prepare for the cold! Saturday will be warmer but we will be hiking out that day so we will get pretty hot.
What you provide:
– Sleeping Bag & Pad. Make sure bag is warm enough (a fleece/synthetic blanket makes the bag even better).
– Food for dinner, breakfast the next morning, and lunch. We will stop at a grocery store on the way out need be.
– Warm clothes: try to stick with synthetics since they don’t retain moisture and you can layer up with them easily, also longjohns.
– Headlamp (or flashlight)! We will be hiking at night so yeah…
– !!WATER!! At least 2L to carry with you (I have a water filter so we can refill from the river)
– Sturdy Hiking shoes
-I have a SNP park pass but if another car joins then that car will have to split their fee between the passengers
What I have:
-2 Person tent
-Larger backpacking stove
WHAT I/THE CLUB PROVIDES:
– Backpacking stove(s)
– Backpack/Sleeping Bags/Sleeping Pads/Head Lamps.
*If you don’t need any of the above, then make sure to go to a gear room beforehand and check out the necessary items (for free!!). If you can’t make any of the gear rooms, then email the officer listserv/me and we can figure it out from there.
See you on the other side,
Student Shredder Garrett