Monticello Trail/Boardwalk Parking
Join me for an early morning loop on the Secluded Farm Trails off Monticello (Saunders) Boardwalk!
We’ll jump-start our day with steady elevation gain, and in 40 minutes
be rewarded with views of Charlottesville below us through the trees
– all before classes start! This is a 4.5-mile circuit hike with total elevation gain of ~600 feet. After a gentle beginning, trail heads uphill for a significant portion of the hike (Smart Trail + Hartman Trail):
We will complete a lovely, mostly wooded circuit that climbs Carter’s
Mountain toward the orchard, and veers off just before emerging from
the trees. We’ll follow the trail as it flattens out to be
a gentle up and down near the top (Mountain Trail) before gradually descending back into the valley. We will cross a shallow stream two times near the bottom of the mountain.
What to wear: please do your best not to bring any cotton clothing. When cotton gets wet (by rain or sweat), it draws heat away from your body which is no fun when we stop to take breaks or descend. Wool and synthetics retain some body heat even when wet. If possible, please wear synthetic or smart wool/merino wool socks, and synthetic other clothes.
* clothing layers to take off as you warm up, put on as you
cool down, and of the fabric types noted above.
* light snack to eat along the way
* 1 liter water/beverage
* rain gear (just in case, but forecast is sunny)
* hiking boots with ankle support (trail is often uneven and it’s easy
to twist an ankle)