It seems pretty safe to assume school will be cancelled Thursday. Even if it is cancelled, plans are subject to change due to road/weather conditions. I suspect our path will be well enough cleared, but if roads are impassable, we may head back to Charlottesville, or try for another destination.
I generally get excited when there is a forecast for snow; however, above freezing temperatures in Charlottesville Thursday suggest to me, that the snow will start to melt, and thus will be fairly heavy and wet. Ick. I want dry, fluffy snow, so I say we head to the mountains. And not just any mountain, let’s set the goal as the highest mountain in Shenandoah National Park: Hawksbill. This should be roughly 10 miles out and back, but with ~2000 feet of vertical, with snowshoes, and stream crossings.
Stream crossings *should* be passable without getting wet, unless you fall in. Don’t fall in!
> Layers (waterproof outerlayers would be best.)
> Sturdy + waterproof boots
> Water (2L or more)
> Snacks + lunch
> Extras: socks + gloves would be obvious extras to bring
> Anything cotton (you will sweat on the way up, and then you’ll be miserably cold at top / on the way down)
> A ride
> Snowshoes (I will check these out for us)