Would you like the opportunity to escape the lights of Charlottesville to see the beautiful expanse of the starry night sky? Humpback Rocks are only about half an hour away from UVA along Blue Ridge Parkway. We’ll leave campus early enough in the afternoon to explore some hiking trails around Humpback Rocks and to catch the sunset. Once its dark we will pull out a camping stove to toast marshmallows and heat water for hot chocolate. Then we will stargaze! Thanks to daylight savings, we will arrive back on campus early enough that everyone should have time to conduct their Friday night plans as usual.
The club will provide: mix for hot chocolate and materials for smores!
This hike fairly short (less than an hour to reach the top) but of a fairly steep elevation. Make sure that you bring:
1. Appropriate hiking shoes
2. DINNER. Ex. a Peanut Butter and Jelly sandwich or anything else easily transportable and delicous.
4. A flashlight if you have one, or check out a headlamp from Gear Room on Thursday at 5:15 if you would prefer one.
5. A sleeping bag or blanket so that you can stretch out and comfortably enjoy the view.
6. Layers, layers, layers. Including, a rain jacket, a heavy jacket, and whatever else you think will keep you warm.
7. A thermos to hold hot chocolate.
8. An additional nalgene for extra water to make hot chocolate.
The maximum number of attendees is set at 5 right now, but I will add more people as drivers sign up.