Too busy to join the weekend long festivities at the New River Gorge but still want to enjoy the perfect weather this weekend and get in a night under the stars? Join me and your fellow too-busy-with-midterms outdoorsmen on a quick overnight trip to the Three Ridges Wilderness Area.
We’ll meet at Bonny Castle Circle at 4:00 PM on Friday, drive south to near Wintergreen where we’ll hop on the AT for a 7 mile hike, and camp at the Harpers Creek shelter. Sunday morning we’ll finish off the remaining 7 miles, drive to a local BBQ place for lunch (hence the fee), and be back on grounds before 1:00 PM. (If you don’t eat pulled pork, bring lunch and forget the fee)
For details, see http://www.hikingupward.com/GWNF/ThreeRidges/
*Everyone will be waitlisted at first with preference going to another driver to allow more people to join the fun.
** I’m no certified guide, just a facilitator of fun at best/a free ride at worst.
You Need/Get from the Club’s gear room:
– A backpack
– A sleeping bag and pad/hammock
– A tent
– Headlamp or flashlight
– Athletic clothing that allows for hiking during the day
– 3/4 liters of water (3/4 Nalgenes or 6/8 standard water bottles worth)
– Broken in sneakers/boots/running shoes
– A Jacket (Low of 45 degrees)
– A toothbrush you filthy animal
– Food & dining gear for dinner, breakfast, and snacks.
*I’ll bring a stove and can boil water for you if needed but won’t be cooking dinner for everyone. Non-cook food such as sandwiches are the simplest choice and always taste good.
* If you’ve got questions about what to bring, feel free to email me. I’m probably forgetting something anyways.