Echols Dorm: Brick Wall By Side Door
ACE Adventure Center: Oak Hill, WV
Make the best of your “Reading Days” by rafting the Upper Gualey! This is going to be incredible!
The Gualey River is located in West Virginia. Here’s what a former officer (Marc) had to say about it: “The upper Gauley is a world class white water mecca, and was home to the 2001 white water championships. For 23 days each fall the water level is controlled by the release from the Summersville Dam, bringing the flow to around 4,000 CuFt./Sec. (that’s fast!) and making this section ranked 2nd in the nation, 7th in the world for white water! There are 5 exhilerating class V rapids, and numerous class IVs.Whether you’re an expert rafter or have neer been, the Gauley is where its at!”
All of our activities are coordinated through ACE Adventures, which provides camping, transportation, rafting gear, and river guides. ACE has a great website that’s really informative. Check it out at: http://www.aceraft.com/white-water-rafting-pages/fall-gauley.html
– FRIDAY, Oct 6th: All cars will depart from Echols Dorm at 5pm. We’ll drive to Oak Hill, WV and camp at ACE Adventure Center. (If the departure time is a problem, write it in the “comments” section when you sign up. If there are enough people, we’ll arrange to have a carload leave later.)
– SATURDAY, Oct 7th: After check-in at 8:30 AM and a 45-minute bus ride, we’ll hit the river! Rafting takes between 5 and 7 hours, and ACE will provide a delicious grilled lunch in the middle. When we’re done (late afternoon) we’ll pack up camp and drive back to C’ville.
Ellie, a club member, works for ACE and was able to get us a great deal! The following rafting rate is $60 off the normal price!
For those who went last year: Although this year’s price may look more expensive, the rafting rate is actually the same. The only difference here is that I included wetsuit rental and camping fees in the final price.
-The total price you pay is $128.56. Here’s the breakdown per person:
-$105: 14-ft raft
-$10: wetsuit rental (highly recommended)
-$5: camping (the original price is $10, but the club pays for $5 of it)
-tax (about an extra $10)
-The club provides:
-$5 for camping (half of the total camping fee)
– up to $60 in gas per car
– breakfast and dinner on Saturday
– a great rafting deal
– gear for camping: tent, sleeping bags, sleeping pads, etc.
THINGS YOU SHOULD KNOW BEFORE YOU SIGN UP:
-You have been warned…you MUST be able to paddle hard for several hours, and you should also be prepared to get thrown out of the boat and have to swim through some rapids.
– It may be cold and there’s always a chance for rain. Dress warm, with plenty of layers. If you have a tent, sleeping bag, and/or pad, please bring them as we will be camping out Saturday night. Once everyone is signed up we will go over together what gear is available to those who don’t have everything they need.
– If you have to cancel, please withdraw as soon as possible so that I can add someone else. If you cancel after the signup deadline, CONTACT ME. I will try to find a replacement on the waitlist for you, but you are responsible for finding someone to go in your place if I can’t find anyone.
If you are joined to the trip, I must have your money ($128.56) by Thurday, September 21st. Again, the DEADLINE for money is SEPTEMBER 21st. If I don’t have anything from you by that date, I will remove you from the “joined” section and start adding people from the waitlist.
You can pay with cash or check. If you pay with a check, make it out to “Meghan Magennis.” Here are three ways you can “show me the money”:
1.) Meet me on the stairs of Clark (also called the Brown Engineering Library) Tuesdays at 12:15pm.
2.) Meet at the stairs of Minor Hall (across from the ampitheater) Tuesdays at 7pm.
3.) Write a CHECK and drop if off or send it to 750 Madison Ave, Apt B, Charlottesville, VA, 22903. (Please don’t leave cash in my mailbox.)
4.) If you really can’t make any of those times, email me and we’ll work something out.
Let me know if you want to go on a shorter raft, which is both more intense and more expensive.
Feel free to email me with any questions. Once the date gets closer and people have signed up, I’ll send out more details.