hello ODC friends. just a reminder that drinking water is an important and healthy aspect of your being a human on this big ol earth. per the guidelines that I just made up: drink when you are. and drink more after consuming a tasty tudors biscuit. happy guzzling!
BONFUEGO this Thursday 8:00 @ the Shred Shack!
- Bring yourself, your musical instruments, your stories etc. and come enjoy some evening chit chats with your bestest of outdoors club friends and foes at the Shred Shack! (116 washington ave)
Halloween Party Sneak Peek:
- GET READY TO GET SPOOKY! Mark those calendars for another HALLOWEEN PARTY PROGRESSIVE on Friday, Oct. 28 with our friends on the climbing team 🙂 An email with deets will be heading your way soon enough, so keep an eye out. We’ll be starting at the climbing house this year and ending at the Shred Shack. Start costume scheming!
BRING ME BACK YOUR GEAR!
- Please return gear to the gear room! If you have club gear from NRGE please bring it by a gear room or the shred shack! (116 washington ave, leave in front room) We have our big ol’ camping collab with QSU this weekend and we need your gear to make it work! Just a reminder 🙂
Climbing Gear Checkouts – Paused for Now
- As of this week we will not be checking out any climbing gear to members beyond the following items: helmet, harness, shoes. The officers and climbing sport advisors are conducting check-out policy and safety review of our climbing gear. We expect to have an updated policy by mid-November. If you would like to check out climbing gear beyond that listed above during this period, please email the officers (firstname.lastname@example.org) to inquire.
Wilderness First Aid Courses!
- Our friends over at MEDIC SOLO are offering some WFA courses in cville soon! October 22-23, 2022(only two spots left); January 21-22, 2023; April 15-16, 2023 and June 10-11, 2023. ODC will reimburse the cost of WFA/WFR if you lead four trips outside the “golden hour”.
- See www.solowfa.com for details and to register!
GEAR RESOURCES AND POLICY
Gear Room Schedule:
Mon: (10/17) 4:15 pm —> Ed Aten (434) 326-8868
Tues: 11:00 am —> Phillip Reeves (571) 332-3740
Weds: 11:30 am —> Mitch Lang (804) 955-8990
Thurs: 1:00 pm —> Will Lankford (202) 321-1197
Fri: 12:00 pm —> Sophia Benmhend (202) 644-0304
If none of these times work for you, please email the officers email@example.com at least 24 hours in advance to schedule a separate time to be let into the gear room. Please only do this if you really can’t make the gear room times, not just because you don’t feel like it or didn’t plan ahead.
This schedule will ideally be consistent throughout the semester, however, changes may occur. You may stop by the gear room to check out or return gear and be reimbursed at any of the times listed below. Please text the officer leading the gear room if you will be late. Officers remain at the gear room only for as long as people are checking in/out gear (usually about 20-25 minutes). You may also purchase ODC t-shirts, hoo rags, patches, stickers, and more at the gear room!
BEFORE RETURNING GEAR REFER TO THE GEAR CLEANING DOC BELOW
If you return damaged, dirty, or incomplete gear, you will jeopardize your ability to check out gear in the future. It is your responsibility, not the officers, to return your gear in the condition you received it.
Please refer to our reimbursement policy here.
You can check our gear inventory here.
If you want to check out any water sports gear or a mountain bike, please email the officers at firstname.lastname@example.org. They are stored at separate locations. We ask that you give at least 24 hours notice.
Gear is due one week from when it is checked out unless renewed by an officer at a gear room. Keeping gear past its due date is a UVA Honor Offense. Club trips have priority access to gear.
Directions: Map to Gear Room
Start at Echols Dorm
Go right on McCormick
Turn right on Alderman Rd
Take a left on Leake Drive
Walk to the end of the road. There are several buildings and parking on either side.
Pass a picnic table on the right. Keep going!
Walk straight to the first big maintenance building directly ahead. Walk behind the building on the left side. Walk up the stairs
End: Knock on the door.
TRIP RESOURCES AND REMINDERS
Once you’ve got an idea for a specific trip that you want to lead, send the officers an email with a description and your qualifications for leading that sort of trip. Remember, climbing, caving, and kayaking trips have special rules!
Want to lead a trip for an under-represented group in the outdoors? Lead an Affinity Trip! See the link for details and guidelines.
Please be aware that if you are joined on a trip, and you do not show up, or you drop out at the last minute, you are depriving another member of a spot on that trip.
No-shows and last-minute absences not only hurt trip attendance, but they also make logistics more complicated.
If a member is reported for two absences, trip leaders are permitted to take this into account when moving people off wait lists.
Sexual Harassment and Equity Reporting:
Outdoors at UVA is committed to providing a safe and welcoming space for everyone to enjoy the outdoors. If you feel you or another have experienced sexual or gender-based violence or misconduct at the hands of another club member, you can report the misconduct here.
If you feel you or another have experienced harassment based on race, ethnicity, gender, sexuality, etc. at the hands of another club member, you can report the misconduct here.
ADVENTURE OF THE WEEEEEEK!!!
Thanks to everyone who submitted for Adventure of the Week!! We received many, but there can be only one. This week’s AOTW comes from Max and Joseph’s climbing trip to Reed’s Creek over fall break.
- Joseph, Luke, Keith and I took a day trip on Tuesday to Reed’s Creek in West Virginia. We put up a bunch of routes and taught Luke how to lead belay which he was super stoked about. The weather was a bit iffy with a few sprinkles coming through but the rock was dry and cold so it was pretty good climbing. Great group with lots of quality banter. On the way out, we hit a local diner in the small town of Franklin, WV with some solid greasy American food and fantastic southern hospitality. Great end to break.
Each week we’ll feature a different adventure that happened within the previous 7 days. To be featured, send us (email@example.com) a couple of pictures of you and your pals adventurin’ and a little blurb about what you did!
We’re reallllllllly stoked to see what y’all get up to – but please. Do not take pictures of people without their consent. And don’t submit them to us without their consent. Don’t be a creep and a weirdo.
Who will be the next ADVENTURE OF THE WEEK?!?! we await your submissions!
Email Social Chair Shay Utzinger (firstname.lastname@example.org) with any trip pictures to be featured on the club Instagram!!!!!