Here’s a recap of my dreams from the last week:
- I was stuck in a zombie apocalypse in LA/San Francisco and learned to forage for food, became an epic driver, and fought off a horde of zombies with my sister, boyfriend, and the dudes from Sun Room. Happy to report that the zombies did not succeed in their goal of making me their zombie queen.
- Had a crazy kayaking dream in which Mitch and Will made a brief appearance and a child jumped off a waterfall? Also at some point in the dream I almost got hit by a mountain bike and ran through a market while carrying my whitewater kayak on my shoulder.
- Halloweekend dream in which I was dressed as a grape or something and fell asleep on a bench in Central Park in New York City. Huh.
– Sarah “Psychoanalyze Me” Dowling
Halloween Party with Climbing Club!
- 8pm this Friday, October 27th. Be there or I’ll turn you into a pumpkin. Check your email for more details🎃
A Message From Overland:
- Love the outdoors? Seeking an exciting, leadership-oriented summer opportunity? Overland hires college students and recent graduates to lead eight weeks of hiking, language, and service trips across the country and around the world.
- Whether you’re backpacking in the Swiss Alps, restoring trails in Alaska, learning French in Chamonix, or rock climbing in Maine, the job offers an opportunity to hone leadership and teamwork skills, forge friendships, and have a formative impact on others’ lives.
- Overland will be at the Career Fair from 11am to 3pm on 10/25 and 10/26 in Newcomb, and if you miss that, you can always attend a virtual info session.
- Their first application deadline is 11/19!
10/22 Officer Meeting Notes
- Here are the officer meeting notes from this Sunday.
Notes on Moab:
- Good news: ODC is absolutely BOOMING due to unprecedented numbers of members and trips!
- Less good news: Because of this, not everyone who wants to go to Moab gets to go to Moab.
- As a result, the officer corps is working hard to try to accommodate all of the newfound interest in Moab (and our other mega-trips)!
- We see y’all and how involved you are in the club, and we want to make sure you get to do the fun things you want to do. We’re doing our best to find new solutions.
- In the meantime, here are some graphs that Max & Sujith put together for us to look at showing the growth of the club and of the Moab trip over time:
OLD (BUT STILL IMPORTANT) ANNOUNCEMENTS:
- Apply to be an officer if you’ve led at least 3 trips for the club and are interested in helping run the club! Applications are due November 3rd. ANYONE who has met this requirement can apply, including (and especially!) first years!
- E.g., first years, APPLY to be an officer! You’re allowed to and encouraged to do so!
- Here’s the application link.
- Anything wild or crazy happened on your trips recently, but not in a good way? Fill out this form to let the officers know about incidents or near misses on your ODC trips. Incidents can include but are not limited to: major injuries, extreme/ dangerous weather, or getting lost. We’ll keep it for our records/learning and follow-up if necessary!
- Here’s the template.
Trip Leader Emails
- If you are a trip leader and have NOT been getting emails from us (about TL potlucks, TL updates) – please reach out so that we can add you to the trip leader list serv! We want to keep you in the loop!
Overdue Gear Policy Update (We’re Crackin’ Down…)
- Here’s an overview:
- From now on, one week after you check out your gear, you will get a reminder email.
- Two weeks after check out, you will not be able to check out more gear until the initial gear is returned.
- 30 days after check-out will result in the gear being considered missing/stolen, and you will lose trip privileges until we have the gear back or receive the money from you required for a replacement.
- Failure to respond within a week to contact attempts at this point will result in more drastic measures (potentially an Honor Code Violation via the Honor Council)
- Here’s the link to the 2023 Gear Handbook.
- Long story short, keep track of and RETURN YOUR GEAR (on time)!
Important Gear Room Notes
- Go to Monday gear rooms! Wednesday and Friday gear rooms in particular get quite crowded and Max is lonely! Go keep him company, get a jump on checking out your gear, and avoid the lines by showing up on Mondays at noon. (Max promises he isn’t scary!)
- Also, if you read these emails, you’ll know that gear room times are posted here and on the website! Those times (and pop-up times that are sent in the GroupMe) are when you can go to the gear room. Do not show up at a random time—we will not be there❤️
As Always, BRING BACK YOUR GEAR!
- Did you borrow something and forget to bring it back? Well, here’s your friendly reminder to return your club gear to a gear room or email the officers (firstname.lastname@example.org) to schedule a return time.
- From Mitch: “Hello gear gremlins! If you have items of outdoor gear that you would like to see purchased by the club, please fill out the form below!”
- Google Form OR Microsoft Form
WOOOAAAHHH ODC Member DISCOUNTS?!
- You read it right! Anyone who is a member of this lovely club can now get 10% off at High Tor Gear Exchange & Endeavor Cycles here in Charlottesville!
Are YOU in the GroupMe?
- Join it here!
GEAR RESOURCES AND POLICY
This Year’s Gear Room Schedule:
Mondays @ 12pm — Max St. Clair (617-780-1129)
Tuesdays @ 3pm — Mitch Lang (804-955-8990)
Wednesdays @ 6pm — Ed Aten (434-326-8868)
Thursdays @ 8:30am — Evelyn Needham (303-944-5484)
Fridays @ 3:15pm — Renee Erickson (703-850-9725)
If none of these times work for you, please email the officers email@example.com at least 24 hours in advance to schedule a separate time to be let into the gear room. Please only do this if you really can’t make the gear room times, not just because you don’t feel like it or didn’t plan ahead.
You can stop by the gear room to check out or return gear and be reimbursed at any of the times listed above! Officers remain at the gear room only for as long as people are checking in/out gear (usually about 20-25 minutes). You may also purchase ODC t-shirts, hoo rags, patches, stickers, and more at the gear room!
MISC. GEAR INFO:
- Before returning gear, refer to the GEAR CLEANING DOC!
- If you return damaged, dirty, or incomplete gear, you will jeopardize your ability to check out gear in the future. It is your responsibility to return your gear in the condition you received it.
- Please refer to our reimbursement policy here.
- You can check our gear inventory here.
- Want to check out water sports gear or a mountain bike?
- Please email the officers at firstname.lastname@example.org. They are stored at separate locations. We ask that you give at least 24 hours notice.
- Gear is due one week from when it is checked out unless renewed by an officer at a gear room. Keeping gear past its due date is a UVA Honor Offense. Club trips have priority access to gear.
Directions to the Gear Room:
- Start at Echols Dorm → go right on McCormick → turn right on Alderman Rd → take a left on Leake Drive → walk to the end of the road (there are several buildings and parking on either side) → pass a picnic table on the right → keep going! → walk straight to the first big maintenance building directly ahead → walk behind the building on the left side (if it feels like you maybe shouldn’t be there, you’re in the right place) → walk up the stairs → End: knock on the door!
- Map to Gear Room
TRIP RESOURCES AND REMINDERS
To become a trip leader, thoroughly read the Trip Leader Manual (resources page of the website) and send the officers an email (email@example.com) letting them you know you have done so. They will then activate you on the website! Alternatively, come to a Trip Leader Workshop, lead by the officers several times each semester and posted on the website.
As a reminder, climbing, caving, mountain biking, and whitewater trips have special rules to lead! To learn more about types of trips and to become an approved trip leader for the sports listed above, feel free to contact the club’s Sport Advisors (emails can soon!).
- Melu (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Abby (email@example.com)
- Renee (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Aidan (email@example.com)
- Max Titov (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Grace (email@example.com)
- Ed (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Water Sports
- Mitch – All (email@example.com)
Marion – Kayaking & Rafting (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Mitch – All (email@example.com)
If you have questions about how to lead trips, refer to the Leading Trips pages under Resources on the club website.
Want to lead a trip for an under-represented group in the outdoors? Lead an Affinity Trip! See the link for details and guidelines.
- Please be aware that if you are joined on a trip, and you do not show up, or you drop out at the last minute, you are depriving another member of a spot on that trip.
- No-shows and last-minute absences not only hurt trip attendance, but they also make logistics more complicated.
- If a member is reported for two absences, trip leaders are permitted to take this into account when moving people off wait lists.
Sexual Harassment and Equity Reporting:
- Outdoors at UVA is committed to providing a safe and welcoming space for everyone to enjoy the outdoors. If you feel you or another have experienced misconduct at the hands of another club member, please report it here. This is including but not limited to misconduct regarding sexuality (including sexual harassment), gender, race, ethnicity, ability, etc.
- Outdoors at UVA’s Sexual Misconduct policy can be found here. Our policy for harassment and discrimination is here.
ADVENTURE OF THE WEEK!!!
None this week 🙁 Send us your trips so we can show everyone how awesome you are!!!!
- How to be featured:
- Each week we’ll feature a different adventure that happened within the previous 7 days. To be featured, send us (firstname.lastname@example.org) a couple of pictures of you and your pals adventurin’ and a little blurb about what you did!
- We’re stoked to see what y’all get up to, but PLEASE (please!) do not take pictures of people without their consent (and don’t submit them to us without their consent).
- Try and submit pictures as .jpeg files if possible! (not .heic live photos!)
Who will be the next ADVENTURE OF THE WEEK???
Peace, Love, & Dirt,
Sarah and the Officers