hello ODC friends, I hope your weekend has been restful and rejuvenating. this week I challenge you to find joy in the simple yet complex culinary creation that is the sandwich. what will you put between two planes?
- GET READY TO GET SPOOKY! Mark those calendars for another HALLOWEEN PARTY PROGRESSIVE on Friday, Oct. 28 with our friends on the climbing team 🙂 We’ll be starting at the climbing house this year and ending at the Shred Shack. See the recent announcement for more hype! Start costume scheming!
DEI and CLUB TOWN HALL!
- The DEI (Diversity, Equity, & Inclusion) committee is meeting at 6:30 pm on Monday the 24th (tomorrow!! biweekly!!) in 115 Cocke Hall! Please come if you are interested in hearing about or contributing to our efforts! We have recently decided to open our meetings to the general club body during the last 15-20 mins, so if you have any comments/concerns/questions that you want to share, feel free to show up unannounced at 7:10! We’d love to hear what you have to say (& this is a great way to get more involved with the club)!!
Climbing Gear Checkouts – Paused for Now
- As of this week we will not be checking out any climbing gear to members beyond the following items: helmet, harness, shoes. The officers and climbing sport advisors are conducting check-out policy and safety review of our climbing gear. We expect to have an updated policy by mid-November. If you would like to check out climbing gear beyond that listed above during this period, please email the officers (firstname.lastname@example.org) to inquire.
- The officer core has learned that some amongst you are not aware of the illustrious and shining resources that are ODC’s Sport Advisors! These are beings (club members) who are nominated by the officer core to serve as Astute and Principal Advisors to the officers/club in the matter of all things pertaining to their sport of expertise. If you’re interested in these sports, and especially in becoming a trip leader for these sports, these are the people to talk to! Below is the list of current advisors and their emails.
- Eliza (Ejs4zb@virginia.edu)
- Joseph (email@example.com)
- Renee (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Phillip (email@example.com)
- Grace (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Ed (email@example.com)
- Water Sports
- Mitch (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Your personal information on the Website…
- This is just a friendly reminder that your personal information (email, phone number, address) is visible to club members in your website profile. You can edit or delete/hide this information at any time by editing your profile under the “profile” tab in the website menu. If you feel you have been harassed/your personal information has been maliciously used by another club member you can report anonymously here.
Wilderness First Aid Courses!
- Our friends over at MEDIC SOLO are offering some WFA courses in cville soon! October 22-23, 2022(only two spots left); January 21-22, 2023; April 15-16, 2023 and June 10-11, 2023. ODC will reimburse the cost of WFA/WFR if you lead four trips outside the “golden hour”.
- See www.solowfa.com for details and to register!
GEAR RESOURCES AND POLICY
Gear Room Schedule:
Mon: (10/24) 4:15 pm —> Ed Aten (434) 326-8868
Tues: 11:00 am —> Phillip Reeves (571) 332-3740
Weds: 11:30 am —> Mitch Lang (804) 955-8990
Thurs: 1:00 pm —> Will Lankford (202) 321-1197
Fri: 12:00 pm —> Sophia Benmhend (202) 644-0304
If none of these times work for you, please email the officers email@example.com at least 24 hours in advance to schedule a separate time to be let into the gear room. Please only do this if you really can’t make the gear room times, not just because you don’t feel like it or didn’t plan ahead.
This schedule will ideally be consistent throughout the semester, however, changes may occur. You may stop by the gear room to check out or return gear and be reimbursed at any of the times listed below. Please text the officer leading the gear room if you will be late. Officers remain at the gear room only for as long as people are checking in/out gear (usually about 20-25 minutes). You may also purchase ODC t-shirts, hoo rags, patches, stickers, and more at the gear room!
BEFORE RETURNING GEAR REFER TO THE GEAR CLEANING DOC BELOW
If you return damaged, dirty, or incomplete gear, you will jeopardize your ability to check out gear in the future. It is your responsibility, not the officers, to return your gear in the condition you received it.
Please refer to our reimbursement policy here.
You can check our gear inventory here.
If you want to check out any water sports gear or a mountain bike, please email the officers at firstname.lastname@example.org. They are stored at separate locations. We ask that you give at least 24 hours notice.
Gear is due one week from when it is checked out unless renewed by an officer at a gear room. Keeping gear past its due date is a UVA Honor Offense. Club trips have priority access to gear.
Directions: Map to Gear Room
Start at Echols Dorm
Go right on McCormick
Turn right on Alderman Rd
Take a left on Leake Drive
Walk to the end of the road. There are several buildings and parking on either side.
Pass a picnic table on the right. Keep going!
Walk straight to the first big maintenance building directly ahead. Walk behind the building on the left side. Walk up the stairs
End: Knock on the door.
TRIP RESOURCES AND REMINDERS
Once you’ve got an idea for a specific trip that you want to lead, send the officers an email with a description and your qualifications for leading that sort of trip. Remember, climbing, caving, and kayaking trips have special rules!
Want to lead a trip for an under-represented group in the outdoors? Lead an Affinity Trip! See the link for details and guidelines.
Please be aware that if you are joined on a trip, and you do not show up, or you drop out at the last minute, you are depriving another member of a spot on that trip.
No-shows and last-minute absences not only hurt trip attendance, but they also make logistics more complicated.
If a member is reported for two absences, trip leaders are permitted to take this into account when moving people off wait lists.
Sexual Harassment and Equity Reporting:
Outdoors at UVA is committed to providing a safe and welcoming space for everyone to enjoy the outdoors. If you feel you or another have experienced sexual or gender-based violence or misconduct at the hands of another club member, you can report the misconduct here.
If you feel you or another have experienced harassment based on race, ethnicity, gender, sexuality, etc. at the hands of another club member, you can report the misconduct here.
ADVENTURE OF THE WEEEEEEK!!!
Thanks to everyone who submitted for Adventure of the Week!! We received many, but there can be only one. This week’s AOTW comes from Abigail’s recent Humpback Rock sunrise trip.
- We saw an absolutely stunning sunrise on Abigail’s Monday Humpback trip! Brian brought his camera and we got some really incredible photos.
Each week we’ll feature a different adventure that happened within the previous 7 days. To be featured, send us (email@example.com) a couple of pictures of you and your pals adventurin’ and a little blurb about what you did!
We’re reallllllllly stoked to see what y’all get up to – but please. Do not take pictures of people without their consent. And don’t submit them to us without their consent. Don’t be a creep and a weirdo.
Who will be the next ADVENTURE OF THE WEEK?!?! we await your submissions!
Email Social Chair Shay Utzinger (firstname.lastname@example.org) with any trip pictures to be featured on the club Instagram!!!!!