Hello ODC friends, I am feeling especially weird writing this week’s email because i am (for secret reasons) at the library of Appalachian State University and there is a fake woman in a glass case. Clem could never. Hope your week and libraries are mannequin free!
Mid-fall member feedback form
- Greetings beloved earth rovers!! We wanna hear from you about some key aspects of our club, so please take a moment to fill out this speedy and anonymous survey to share your thoughts: https://forms.gle/dCREoeXg1Xruw1gC8
Become a Caving Trip Leader!
- If you are interested in being a caving leader, please contact Renee at firstname.lastname@example.org so we can train you in the coming months!
DEI and CLUB TOWN HALL!
- The DEI (Diversity, Equity, & Inclusion) committee is meeting at 6:30 pm on Monday, November 14th (biweekly!!) in 115 Cocke Hall! Please come if you are interested in hearing about or contributing to our efforts! We have recently decided to open our meetings to the general club body during the last 15-20 mins, so if you have any comments/concerns/questions that you want to share, feel free to show up unannounced at 7:10! We’d love to hear what you have to say (& this is a great way to get more involved with the club)!!
Climbing Gear Checkouts – Paused for Now
- As of this week we will not be checking out any climbing gear to members beyond the following items: helmet, harness, shoes. The officers and climbing sport advisors are conducting check-out policy and safety review of our climbing gear. We expect to have an updated policy by mid-November. If you would like to check out climbing gear beyond that listed above during this period, please email the officers (email@example.com) to inquire.
Wilderness First Aid Courses!
- Our friends over at MEDIC SOLO are offering some WFA courses in cville soon! October 22-23, 2022(only two spots left); January 21-22, 2023; April 15-16, 2023 and June 10-11, 2023. ODC will reimburse the cost of WFA/WFR if you lead six trips outside the “golden hour”.
- See www.solowfa.com for details and to register!
GEAR RESOURCES AND POLICY
Gear Room Schedule:
Mon: (11/07) 4:15 pm —> Ed Aten (434) 326-8868
Tues: 11:00 am —> No gear room
Weds: 11:30 am —> Mitch Lang (804) 955-8990
Thurs: 1:00 pm —> Will Lankford (202) 321-1197
Thurs 7:00 pm —> Phillip Reeves (571) 332-3740
Fri: 12:00 pm —> Sophia Benmhend (202) 644-0304
If none of these times work for you, please email the officers firstname.lastname@example.org at least 24 hours in advance to schedule a separate time to be let into the gear room. Please only do this if you really can’t make the gear room times, not just because you don’t feel like it or didn’t plan ahead.
This schedule will ideally be consistent throughout the semester, however, changes may occur. You may stop by the gear room to check out or return gear and be reimbursed at any of the times listed below. Please text the officer leading the gear room if you will be late. Officers remain at the gear room only for as long as people are checking in/out gear (usually about 20-25 minutes). You may also purchase ODC t-shirts, hoo rags, patches, stickers, and more at the gear room!
BEFORE RETURNING GEAR REFER TO THE GEAR CLEANING DOC BELOW
If you return damaged, dirty, or incomplete gear, you will jeopardize your ability to check out gear in the future. It is your responsibility, not the officers, to return your gear in the condition you received it.
Please refer to our reimbursement policy here.
You can check our gear inventory here.
If you want to check out any water sports gear or a mountain bike, please email the officers at email@example.com. They are stored at separate locations. We ask that you give at least 24 hours notice.
Gear is due one week from when it is checked out unless renewed by an officer at a gear room. Keeping gear past its due date is a UVA Honor Offense. Club trips have priority access to gear.
Directions: Map to Gear Room
Start at Echols Dorm
Go right on McCormick
Turn right on Alderman Rd
Take a left on Leake Drive
Walk to the end of the road. There are several buildings and parking on either side.
Pass a picnic table on the right. Keep going!
Walk straight to the first big maintenance building directly ahead. Walk behind the building on the left side. Walk up the stairs
End: Knock on the door.
TRIP RESOURCES AND REMINDERS
Once you’ve got an idea for a specific trip that you want to lead, send the officers an email with a description and your qualifications for leading that sort of trip. Remember, climbing, caving, mountain biking, and kayaking trips have special rules! To learn more about types of trips and to become an approved trip leader for the sports listed above, feel free to contact the club’s Sport Advisors.
- Eliza (Ejs4zb@virginia.edu)
- Joseph (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Renee (email@example.com)
- Phillip (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Grace (email@example.com)
- Ed (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Water Sports
- Mitch (email@example.com)
Want to lead a trip for an under-represented group in the outdoors? Lead an Affinity Trip! See the link for details and guidelines.
Please be aware that if you are joined on a trip, and you do not show up, or you drop out at the last minute, you are depriving another member of a spot on that trip.
No-shows and last-minute absences not only hurt trip attendance, but they also make logistics more complicated.
If a member is reported for two absences, trip leaders are permitted to take this into account when moving people off wait lists.
Sexual Harassment and Equity Reporting:
Outdoors at UVA is committed to providing a safe and welcoming space for everyone to enjoy the outdoors. If you feel you or another have experienced sexual or gender-based violence or misconduct at the hands of another club member, you can report the misconduct here.
If you feel you or another have experienced harassment based on race, ethnicity, gender, sexuality, etc. at the hands of another club member, you can report the misconduct here.
ADVENTURE OF THE WEEEEEEK!!!
Thanks to everyone who submitted for Adventure of the Week!! We received many, but there can be only one. This week’s AOTW comes from Owen’s stone lifting trip way back on the 21st! (no one submitted this week 🙁 )
- (from Tiffany) Elli, Owen, Ed, Evan, Aidan and I went behind Slaughter to pick up Owen’s big stones Friday morning ! Owen showed us the technique and form and then we got to it!! You can really do whatever you want with the stones but we focused on picking a stone off the ground and trying to get it to your shoulder to press it (🤯🤯). It was such a fun way to start my morning, and was a great physical challenge.
Each week we’ll feature a different adventure that happened within the previous 7 days. To be featured, send us (firstname.lastname@example.org) a couple of pictures of you and your pals adventurin’ and a little blurb about what you did!
We’re reallllllllly stoked to see what y’all get up to – but please. Do not take pictures of people without their consent. And don’t submit them to us without their consent. Don’t be a creep and a weirdo.
Who will be the next ADVENTURE OF THE WEEK?!?! we await your submissions!
Email Social Chair Shay Utzinger (email@example.com) with any trip pictures to be featured on the club Instagram!!!!!