Hello Beautiful ODC Humans!
Today I have a new dietary strategy for you. It is called two lunches. You eat one lunch, and then you eat another one like an hour or two later, and then you’re done. This pairs great with the Costco $1.50 hot dog. Thanks.
Moab Gear Policy: Some Notes for Checkouts This Week
- 1: Please bring back your checked out gear so it can be used at Moab!
- 2: Checkouts of gear will resume as relatively normal as of this Tuesday, the 28th. No more restrictions on what can be checked out! There will, of course, be a little bit more limited selection in some areas.
Gear Room Time Change!
- Mitch’s gear room this Thursday will be at 11 am instead of 5 pm!
- It’s upon us! the officer corps will be reviewing officer applications post-Moab and we would love to see yours! If you’re passionate about the club and getting people outside, find the application form in the Resources tab of our website! All levels of outdoor experience are highly encouraged to apply!
Bi-Weekly DEI Meetings!
- DEI (Diversity, Equity, & Inclusion) committee is meeting from 5-6 pm on Sunday the 13th in New Cabell 183. It is open to all club members, so if you have any comments/concerns/questions that you want to share, feel free to show up unannounced! If you can’t make it to the meetings, please reach out to Melu directly (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Wilderness First Aid Courses!
- Our friends over at MEDIC SOLO are offering some WFA courses in cville soon! April 15-16, 2023 and June 10-11, 2023. ODC will reimburse the cost of WFA/WFR if you lead six trips outside the “golden hour”. Please email the officers (email@example.com) beforehand if you would like to apply for this reimbursement.
- See www.solowfa.com for details and to register!
GEAR RESOURCES AND POLICY
Gear Room Schedule:
Mon: (2/27) 3:30 pm —> Sophia Benmhend (202) 644-0304
Tues: 10:00 am —> Will Lankford (202) 321-1197
Weds: 1:00 pm —> Phillip Reeves (571) 332-3740
Thurs: 11:00 am —> Mitch Lang (804) 955-8990
Fri: 9:15 am —> Ed Aten (434) 326-8868
If none of these times work for you, please email the officers firstname.lastname@example.org at least 24 hours in advance to schedule a separate time to be let into the gear room. Please only do this if you really can’t make the gear room times, not just because you don’t feel like it or didn’t plan ahead.
This schedule will ideally be consistent throughout the semester, however, changes may occur. You may stop by the gear room to check out or return gear and be reimbursed at any of the times listed above. Please text the officer leading the gear room if you will be late. Officers remain at the gear room only for as long as people are checking in/out gear (usually about 20-25 minutes). You may also purchase ODC t-shirts, hoo rags, patches, stickers, and more at the gear room!
BEFORE RETURNING GEAR REFER TO THE GEAR CLEANING DOC BELOW
If you return damaged, dirty, or incomplete gear, you will jeopardize your ability to check out gear in the future. It is your responsibility, not the officers, to return your gear in the condition you received it.
Please refer to our reimbursement policy here.
You can check our gear inventory here.
If you want to check out any water sports gear or a mountain bike, please email the officers at email@example.com. They are stored at separate locations. We ask that you give at least 24 hours notice.
Gear is due one week from when it is checked out unless renewed by an officer at a gear room. Keeping gear past its due date is a UVA Honor Offense. Club trips have priority access to gear.
Directions: Map to Gear Room
Start at Echols Dorm
Go right on McCormick
Turn right on Alderman Rd
Take a left on Leake Drive
Walk to the end of the road. There are several buildings and parking on either side.
Pass a picnic table on the right. Keep going!
Walk straight to the first big maintenance building directly ahead. Walk behind the building on the left side. Walk up the stairs
End: Knock on the door.
TRIP RESOURCES AND REMINDERS
To become a trip leader, thoroughly read the Trip Leader Manual (resources page of the website) and send the officers an email (firstname.lastname@example.org) letting them you know you have done so. They will then activate you on the website! Alternatively, come to a Trip Leader Workshop, lead by the officers several times each semester and posted on the website.
As a reminder, climbing, caving, mountain biking, and whitewater trips have special rules to lead! To learn more about types of trips and to become an approved trip leader for the sports listed above, feel free to contact the club’s Sport Advisors.
- Joseph (email@example.com)
- Renee (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Phillip (email@example.com)
- Grace (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Ed (email@example.com)
- Trail/Mountain Running
- Grace (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Marion (email@example.com)
- Whitewater Sports
- Mitch (firstname.lastname@example.org)
If you have questions about how to lead trips, take some time to read through the Leaders Manual and Leading Trips pages under Resources on the club website.
Want to lead a trip for an under-represented group in the outdoors? Lead an Affinity Trip! See the link for details and guidelines.
Please be aware that if you are joined on a trip, and you do not show up, or you drop out at the last minute, you are depriving another member of a spot on that trip.
No-shows and last-minute absences not only hurt trip attendance, but they also make logistics more complicated.
If a member is reported for two absences, trip leaders are permitted to take this into account when moving people off wait lists.
Sexual Harassment and Equity Reporting:
Outdoors at UVA is committed to providing a safe and welcoming space for everyone to enjoy the outdoors. If you feel you or another have experienced sexual or gender-based violence or misconduct at the hands of another club member, you can report the misconduct here.
If you feel you or another have experienced harassment based on race, ethnicity, gender, sexuality, etc. at the hands of another club member, you can report the misconduct here.
Outdoors at UVA’s Sexual Misconduct policy can be found on our Resources webpage and is linked here. Our policy for harassment and discrimination is here.
ADVENTURE OF THE WEEEEEEK!!!
- Thanks to everyone who submitted for Adventure of the Week!! We received many, but there can be only one. This weeks AOTW comes from Max (squared) and Philip’s trip to somewhere where they biked!
- From Max St.C: Phillip, Grant, Max T, Mason, and I had a wonderful weekend of mountain biking near Stokesville VA. It started off with heavy freezing rain, crusting our bikes with ice but not dampening our spirits. That night was much more luxurious, cooking a feast of steak and vegetables on a campfire. Day 2 mountain biking was sunny a beautiful, and thanks to a heroic shuttle drop from Grant we were only a few minutes late to the Moab bonfire.
Each week we’ll feature a different adventure that happened within the previous 7 days. To be featured, send us (email@example.com) a couple of pictures of you and your pals adventurin’ and a little blurb about what you did!
We’re reallllllllly stoked to see what y’all get up to – but please. Do not take pictures of people without their consent. And don’t submit them to us without their consent. Don’t be a creep and a weirdo. Try and submit pictures as .jpeg files if possible! (not .heic live photos!)
Who will be the next ADVENTURE OF THE WEEK?!?! we await your submissions!
Email Social Chair Shay Utzinger (firstname.lastname@example.org) with any trip pictures to be featured on the club Instagram!!!!!