Hello Beautiful ODC Humans!
I really have nothing to say other than that there are several important announcements this week, go read them!
Code of Conduct!
- After much hard work, the officers have created a club Code of Conduct! Please take some time to review this very important document as you will be held to the standards outlined within. It outlines the club’s expectations for member behavior in regards to others and to the outdoors. Please see the document linked below.
- Outdoors Club Code of Conduct
New Trip Leader Manual!
- Also after much hard work and revisioning by the officers, we have created an updated version of the Trip Leader Manual! If you are a trip leader, please review this document to keep up to date on our trip leading policies. You’ll probably learn something new! Find the new doc linked below.
- 04_16_2023 Trip Leader Manual
Don’t Leave Gear At the Shred Shack!!
- Hey y’all! Some of y’all may be aware of an unofficial policy/practice of leaving/dropping off club gear at the Shred Shack (116 Washington Ave) instead of going to the gear room. We are putting a stop to this! Outside of special circumstances (email email@example.com), please return all gear to the gear room ASAP!
FILL OUT OUR CENSUS!
- If you somehow haven’t heard yet, it’s Census time! Our DEI Committee has worked hard to craft this quick survey to update us on who our members are and what they be doing. Please take a quick second to fill it out, even if you’re not the most active member, we want to hear from you!
- LINK TO THE CENSUS’
QSU Bonfire Collab! + Food + Smores!!!
- Because I’m guessing you like bonfires, catered food, and smores as much as I do, come out to our bonfire this Thursday, 4/20 from 7:30-9:30 at the Shrack (116 Washinton Ave) for a bonfire colalb moment with UVA’s Queer Student Union! All are welcome at this social event so come mingle!
- The unofficial (official?) outdoors club house is now home to a compost bin! Come by the Shred Shack (116 Washington Ave) to drop off your compost! Compost is located in a green trash can in the backyard by the shed. This is best accessed via Observatory Ave.
Officer Meeting Notes
- The officers are now making their bi-weekly meeting notes available to the club in an effort to foster transparency in our governing process. Please see the link below for this week’s notes.
- 4_16_23 Officer Meeting Summary
Bi-Weekly DEI Meetings and Club Town Hall!
- DEI (Diversity, Equity, & Inclusion) committee is meeting from 5-6 pm on Sunday the 23rd in New Cabell 183. The end of the meeting is a Town Hall open to all club members, so if you have any comments/concerns/questions that you want to share, feel free to show up unannounced around 5:40pm! If you can’t make it to the meetings, please reach out to Melu directly (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Wilderness First Aid Courses!
- Our friends over at MEDIC SOLO are offering some WFA courses in cville soon! June 10-11, 2023. ODC will reimburse the cost of WFA/WFR if you lead six trips outside the “golden hour”. Please email the officers (email@example.com) beforehand if you would like to apply for this reimbursement.
- See www.solowfa.com for details and to register!
GEAR RESOURCES AND POLICY
Gear Room Schedule:
Mon: (4/17) 3:30 pm —> Sophia Benmhend (202) 644-0304
Tues: 10:00 am —> Will Lankford (202) 321-1197
Weds: 1:00 pm —> Phillip Reeves (571) 332-3740
Thurs: 5:00 pm —> Mitch Lang (804) 955-8990
Fri: 9:15 am —> Ed Aten (434) 326-8868
If none of these times work for you, please email the officers firstname.lastname@example.org at least 24 hours in advance to schedule a separate time to be let into the gear room. Please only do this if you really can’t make the gear room times, not just because you don’t feel like it or didn’t plan ahead.
This schedule will ideally be consistent throughout the semester, however, changes may occur. You may stop by the gear room to check out or return gear and be reimbursed at any of the times listed above. Please text the officer leading the gear room if you will be late. Officers remain at the gear room only for as long as people are checking in/out gear (usually about 20-25 minutes). You may also purchase ODC t-shirts, hoo rags, patches, stickers, and more at the gear room!
BEFORE RETURNING GEAR REFER TO THE GEAR CLEANING DOC BELOW
If you return damaged, dirty, or incomplete gear, you will jeopardize your ability to check out gear in the future. It is your responsibility, not the officers, to return your gear in the condition you received it.
Please refer to our reimbursement policy here.
You can check our gear inventory here.
If you want to check out any water sports gear or a mountain bike, please email the officers at email@example.com. They are stored at separate locations. We ask that you give at least 24 hours notice.
Gear is due one week from when it is checked out unless renewed by an officer at a gear room. Keeping gear past its due date is a UVA Honor Offense. Club trips have priority access to gear.
Directions: Map to Gear Room
Start at Echols Dorm
Go right on McCormick
Turn right on Alderman Rd
Take a left on Leake Drive
Walk to the end of the road. There are several buildings and parking on either side.
Pass a picnic table on the right. Keep going!
Walk straight to the first big maintenance building directly ahead. Walk behind the building on the left side. Walk up the stairs
End: Knock on the door.
TRIP RESOURCES AND REMINDERS
To become a trip leader, thoroughly read the Trip Leader Manual (resources page of the website) and send the officers an email (firstname.lastname@example.org) letting them you know you have done so. They will then activate you on the website! Alternatively, come to a Trip Leader Workshop, lead by the officers several times each semester and posted on the website.
As a reminder, climbing, caving, mountain biking, and whitewater trips have special rules to lead! To learn more about types of trips and to become an approved trip leader for the sports listed above, feel free to contact the club’s Sport Advisors.
- Joseph (email@example.com)
- Renee (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Phillip (email@example.com)
- Trail/Mountain Running
- Whitewater Sports
- Mitch (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Want to lead a trip for an under-represented group in the outdoors? Lead an Affinity Trip! See the link for details and guidelines.
Please be aware that if you are joined on a trip, and you do not show up, or you drop out at the last minute, you are depriving another member of a spot on that trip.
No-shows and last-minute absences not only hurt trip attendance, but they also make logistics more complicated.
If a member is reported for two absences, trip leaders are permitted to take this into account when moving people off wait lists.
Sexual Harassment and Equity Reporting:
Outdoors at UVA is committed to providing a safe and welcoming space for everyone to enjoy the outdoors. If you feel you or another have experienced sexual or gender-based violence or misconduct at the hands of another club member, you can report the misconduct here.
If you feel you or another have experienced harassment based on race, ethnicity, gender, sexuality, etc. at the hands of another club member, you can report the misconduct here.
ADVENTURE OF THE WEEEEEEK!!!
Thanks to everyone who submitted for Adventure of the Week!! We received many, but there can be only one. This weeks AOTW comes from
Each week we’ll feature a different adventure that happened within the previous 7 days. To be featured, send us (email@example.com) a couple of pictures of you and your pals adventurin’ and a little blurb about what you did!
We’re reallllllllly stoked to see what y’all get up to – but please. Do not take pictures of people without their consent. And don’t submit them to us without their consent. Don’t be a creep and a weirdo. Try and submit pictures as .jpeg files if possible! (not .heic live photos!)
Who will be the next ADVENTURE OF THE WEEK?!?! we await your submissions!
Email Social Chair Shay Utzinger (firstname.lastname@example.org) with any trip pictures to be featured on the club Instagram!!!!!